Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. Acts 20:28
The Diaconate is a group of men and women who are nominated, trained, elected and appointed by Grace Toronto elders and members.
We exist to contribute to the flourishing of gospel-centered community by meeting the practical needs of our church community, and extending help and compassion to those experiencing hardship or difficult circumstances.
Unlike elders, who are responsible for teaching the gospel, administering healing prayer, and overseeing the church, the Diaconate focuses on deed ministry. People have different needs - they may be recovering from illness, unemployed, grieving, or in another circumstance where they welcome a ministry of care from our congregation. We express in practical ways Christ’s command to all believers to love our neighbour as ourselves.
The Diaconate at Grace Toronto Church is comprised of:
what we Do
- Practically assist and encourage those in challenging circumstances - this may include helping with budgeting, coordinating a meal delivery schedule, or connecting to resources in the community
- Offer financial assistance through the Diaconate Fund.
- Available for prayer and counsel after Sunday services, in partnership with the Grace Toronto Prayer Ministry
- Meet regularly to discuss and pray for ministries and the vision of Grace Toronto Church
- Empower congregants to care for and meet each other’s needs, e.g. through Gracifieds (an online Grace Toronto “classifieds” group), the CAP budgeting course, and others
The practical assistance we offer is temporary and short-term in nature, with the goal of alleviating hardship caused by immediate circumstances and connecting an applicant to the Grace community.
The Diaconate is funded entirely by the donations of individuals at Grace Toronto Church. We are, therefore, accountable to the congregation to be wise stewards of the resources God has given us through His people.
Partner With Us
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12b
The ministry of the Diaconate does not exist in isolation, but is supported by the Church body. It is through our unity and service of each other that we exemplify Christ’s love for us (John 17:21). Practically, you can partner with us by:
- Praying for the Diaconate and the needs of the congregants we serve
- Cooking a meal for the meal ministry
- Telling congregants who are in need about the Diaconate
- Giving financially to the Diaconate Fund
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected.